Mr. Sawhney graduated with a Master’s degree in Mechanical Sciences from Emmanuel College, University of Cambridge, U.K. and an M.B.A with distinction from the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, U.S.A. He was on the Dean’s list for all terms, came second in the University, and is a life member of Beta Gama Sigma.
Mr. Sawhney received the “Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur” from President Chirac of the French Republic, and was made an ‘Honorary Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order’ (LVO) by HM Queen Elizabeth II. He chaired the Commonwealth Leadership Development Conferences founded by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh to foster and broaden the decision making ability of future leaders.
Mr. Sawhney was President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in 1991/92, and a Past President of the International Society of Sugar Cane Technologists and the Indian Sugar Mills Association. He received the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ from the Sugar Technologists’ Association of India, and was made ‘Indian Business Leader of the Year’ by Horasis.
Mr. Sawhney is Co-Chair of the Indo-French CEO’s Forum set up by the President of France and the Prime Minister of India. He is Chairman of the Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur, and a past Chairman of the Doon School, one of India’s premier Schools. Mr. Sawhney is also a Companion Member of the Chartered Institute of Management, U.K. He was President of the All India Chess Federation for 12 years and is a Chevalier of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin in Burgundy.
Mr. Sawhney is Chairman of Triveni Turbine Ltd. and Triveni Engineering and Industries Ltd. with a turnover of US$ 500 Million and market capitalization of US$ 800 million. Mr. Sawhney chairs the Board of Trustees of North India’s oldest private charitable hospital (named after his great grandfather, and inaugurated by the first President of India). It is funded by the Triveni Group and the Sawhney family, and provides free and subsidized secondary care to the weaker sections of society in North Delhi. This 200 bed hospital also runs a free nurses training school.
Sugar Related Associations
- Chairman – Executive 1995-99
- International Society of sugar Cane Technology ( ISSCT) 1995-99
- President Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA) – two terms ( 1985-87)
- President Sugar Technologists Association (STAI) ( 1988-91)
- In 1998 received the Mike Bennet Award from the British Society of Sugar Cane Technologists, U.K. for the best technical paper.
- Delivered Key Note address at the South African Sugar Technologists Association in Durban, South Africa, in 1997.
- Close interaction with Sugar Research Institute (SRI), Mackay, Australia. The first Continuous Vacuum Pan to run in a double sulphitation white sugar plant was successfully installed in February 2000 and the specification and design was jointly done by Triveni and SRI.